13 Responses

1. tsb says:

There are many lost civilizations in New York. Sometimes this website feels like a collection of bureau chiefs reporting on their own precinct, Peter Eder and his Germantown on York Ave for example, McGreever and his schools, Lopate on Knickerbocker Village, Passaro At Large, Roberta Allen on the old Upper West Side, the list goes on and on. Glad to have a dispatch from yours.

2. Laura Eng says:

Tina, I loved your story! You really captured the feel of the way things were. And I know exactly how you feel. I’m a Carroll Gardens native and I also miss the “lost civilization” of our old neighborhood. It’s still a good neighborhood; just not what it used to be.

3. Tina, My name is Louise my mom was Mary, aunt Anna’s sister. I remember you and your mom Christina she was the avon lady, Of course I remember aunt Concetta and aunt Dada, and all the rest, I loved aunt Dada, She pierced my ears when I was a little girl, I bet she also did yours… I enjoyed reading “A Walk on Columbia Street” It was written beautifully, That’s exactly how we grew up. Thanks for the memories……………

Regards, Louise.

4. Ronald says:

I also came from 261 Columbia Street great reading

5. Eileen Carrier says:

I didn’t grow in Brooklyn but I’ve always felt at home here; maybe because I grew up in a Boston, mostly Irish, world a lot like this. Thank you for sharing

6. Nelly Vidal says:

I am a Columibia girl born and bred. You brought back so many memories. P.S. 29 and JHS 142.. I was born at LICH and my first home was on Columbia and Summit St. Pizza or calzone with no ham every Friday. The friesh fruit and fresh vegetable wagons, oh what a life we had. Yes, so many memories. Thanks. Hope to hear from you.

7. ivette says:

I still live in the neighborhood. .
    49 years and counting. My sisters confirmation picture was in the window of Natoli.
    The place has changed quite a bit..
    All the old timers gone..it doesn’t not have the character as it one did..
    Remembering as a child, picking up a hot dog on the corner of President and Columbia street.
    Going to john’s bargain store on Columbia street passing the army navy store. My parents also bought furniture from Sokol brothers!
    And still my mom has pieces of furniture from that place..it’s gone now..A High rise condo in its place that truly kills the charm of the neighbor hood.
    Thank good we have memories to keep and pictures to look at.
    Thanks for sharing ur story..it was great!

8. Ralph Frulio says:

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I lived on 31 Woodhull St and remembered Ralph’s Candy Store and Mr. Bell’s drug store. I also remember playing with author’s aunt Sophie. However, my ol’neighborhood was Red Hook and NOT Carroll Gardens!!!

9. Alma Fernandez says:

Thank you for the memories. I often think of what was and now is. I was raised on Sackett Street. Union Street Park was my back yard. I also remember the Happy Hour, Izzy’s, The Shoe Store, The Beautiful Clock, the stores and the mixture of people. Yes, We were poor but we never knew it. In a lot of ways, we were all family. My picture was also displayed at Napoli’s, Sacraments at St. Peter’s, PS 29 and the lady with the jelly apples, 142 and Angie’s. The waterfront, the ships, the longshoremen. I smile every time I remember. Its a shame how much things changed. Even the name!

Yes Ralph it is and always will be RED HOOK.

10. Fernando Torres says:

Hey all,just listening to these story brings back some real true memories. my name Fernando Torres, some of you might know my brother underdog, he worked with ceasar Carisquillo in the grocery store on columbia between degraw and sackett, I lived at 165 columbia street right in front of what used to be Sedwick street. I lived right in front of the factory Valley candles in i remember the shoe factory when it caught on fire, The bodega owned by Don Juan and Teresa. I still remember watching the Twin towers being built. It felt like everyone was your mother and father because if they caught you doing something wrong you got a cocodaso, then they would take you to your parents and tell them what you did and get another cocodaso and be punished after. put wish we still had people like that who cared and everyone looked out for each others kids and family. I really miss those days.

11. Diane says:

I live in Italy since 1977, but your story brought me back to my childhood and it’s exactly how I remember it. I lived at 174 Union street across The Police Station. Thanks for sharing your story…sei stat assolutamente pittoresca!!! Grazie di cuore <3

12. Gloria R Gallegos says:

I was born at Long Island College Hospital in January of 1934. And that would make me 80 years old and I was touched with your story.

Red Hook was exactly as you described it even when I was little. My family moved there in the twenties, migrating from Puerto Rico. Most of us lived at 298 Columbia Street. Family was very important to us. Most ladies were homemakers and most men were Merchant Marines. Children were safe and carefree.

Thank you for the memories, though we are from different generations and cultures, in Brooklyn we were all kin.

13. Maria Taormina says:

I was born on 427 Columbia Street. Great Story…Why do I remember cheap Charlies and not cheap Louies? The landlord at 427 was named Ralph any relation?